Tuesday, January 24, 2012

a pocket-friendly pouf


 Unless you've been hiding under an interior design rock, you know that poufs have been very popular in home decor as of late. I love a pouf for it's fun, interesting shape, it's versatility, and they are just plain cute. I've been wanting one, and when I came across this tutorial from Better Homes & Gardens I thought, why not give it a try? 


I have no intention of trying to 'reinvent the wheel' here. If you click on the link provided above, BH&G gives you a step-by-step tutorial (with pictures) showing how to make your own pouf. They even have a PDF you can download and print out (which my mom promptly did after I emailed her the link, and her reply read 'We can do this!'). So rather than copy everything the folks at BH&G did so nicely, my intention here is to merely SHOW you that real people can, in fact, make a pretty, pocket-friendly pouf. As the author of the tutorial says, "With a can-do attitude, our step-by-step guide, and $50, you can create an on-trend pouf for your home that's charming and practical." My pouf actually cost less than $50. I'd say it cost about $30 total, and I'll tell you why...

BH&G suggests using linen burlap for your pouf for $7/yd - not bad. I've mentioned that I am a fan of the Goodwill, right? Did you know that many people donate unused fabric remnants to the Goodwill? Yes! So rather than trek up to Joann's, I started this project at my local Goodwill. I didn't actually find any fabric remnants that I liked, but I did find a set of lovely drapes in my favorite color - blue! The material is a thick, cotton, canvas that was perfect for a pouf. And the price tag was perfect, too - $7.99 for enough material to make two poufs, should I be so inclined.

Before I get too far, I need to give credit where it's due. In this case, the credit should be given fully to my mother. If I haven't previously shared that I rely heavily on my exceptional mother's help for many a project, I really should have. My mom is extremely resourceful, creative, and versatile. She is often my sounding board for ideas, and my perfect thrifting partner-in-crime. She has a tool set. She's gorgeous :) and did I mention that she sews? Or, that I do not sew? Basically, she made the pouf for me. She even took the drapes home and washed them prior to starting it. So, there you have it.

 My Wonder Mom

Ok, on with the pouf-ing! After scoring our fabric, we did end up trekking to Joann's for the rest of the shopping list. I decided on a bright, tangerine color for the embroidery floss because I loved the contrast. Armed with batting and thread, we were ready for pouf construction. Here is where my dear mom took over and about a week later, poof! I mean, POUF!!!



(You can see my makings for a new throw pillow off to the left... yay!)

I was so impressed, especially with the stitching my mom did on the outside - beautiful. I am so excited! I love the color combo. It's the perfect size for throwing your feet up on, firm enough to sit on, and cute as a button! What do you think? Do you see a DIY pouf in your living room's future?


1 comment:

  1. You and your gorgeous Wonder Mom's pouf project got me curious if IKEA was selling anything like that. When I searched their site for 'pouf' it came back 0 matches. I found that they did have some chair "footstools" available but that they had no real "poufs" (also the Swedish spelling is "pouffe" on their site). The closest shape and construction they had was a 24" dia banana-leaf-fibered squash-shaped thingy called 'Alseda'. The price was good at under $30.

    The IKEA footstool that I liked the best was their black and white cowhide (with hair intact) "Stockholm footstool"; but you paid big money for the unusual covering: $279!

    Today's Swedes love all things American Wild West or 1950's era and that stool married both themes; so it makes sense that I liked it, I'm 3/4 Swedish, 100% Scandinavian heritage! :D)

    ReplyDelete