Friday, February 10, 2012

affirmation!

I like to think that I have good taste. Don't we all? As an amateur DIY'er, it's always so encouraging to get reinforcement that my ideas and vision are, in fact, good. This reinforcement comes when I see something on a blog or in a magazine that resembles something I myself am trying to accomplish. Case in point, a recent Craigslist purchase in the form of a faux-bamboo, cane barrel chair. See below:



I snatched this chair up for $25. The seller had recently covered the seat with this black tropical print fabric, and decided to cover an ottoman in the same stuff even though it did not match the chair... it isn't even made of wood (you can see it in the bottom right corner of the first image). I bought the chair and the hokey ottoman came with it. So be it. I think the chair will be lovely once given some TLC and new upholstery. The paint is a bit thick on this one, and might take a little elbow grease to smooth out before it gets a new coat (or I might leave it!), but I love the lines and the caning. Shortly after acquiring this piece, one of my beloved blogs, House of Turquoise, featured an outdoor space designed by Elizabeth Newman Interior Design. A perfectly fresh and relaxing patio in my two fave colors. and behold!... faux-bamboo, cane barrel chairs!


The Elizabeth Newman versions are a bit more detailed, but for $25, I will not complain! And it proves to my dear hubby that I am not as crazy as he might think, right? If a fancy-pants professional used these chairs, I must be on the right track! ;) Affirmation!

I have been thinking more and more about green, lately. So perhaps I will recover the seat accordingly. Here are some fun and inspiring ideas:

 



(I love this one...)

I have yet to find the perfect fabric, and I'm actually considering painting my own since every design that I've found appealing costs an arm and a leg per yard! If I could score come vintage barkcloth, I'd be in heaven. To the Goodwill, I go! To be continued...
Have a great weekend!

xo

1 comment:

  1. This made me think of you and the awesome stuff you've been making!

    http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2012/02/birdcage-chandelier-restoration.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ThriftyHomeDecorationsAndAccessories+%28Thrifty+Home+Decorations+and+Accessories%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

    ReplyDelete