Saturday, March 17, 2012

DIY milk glass

There is something inately fresh and springy about milk glass. It has a vintage feel and a very "Oh this? I just had this in my cupboard... isn't it fabulous and beautiful?'' element. The feel that everything from Anthropologie has, right? The beauty and unique appeal of a found object...


melissaesplin.com
 
www.homemadesimple.com

You get the point, milk glass is pretty! My mom came across a fun little DIY project in a magazine and we decided it would be fun to try. Behold: DIY milk glass! 

What you'll need:

• CLEAN glass vases. We found ours at - you guessed it - the Goodwill. We scored 10 pretty vases for about $12. We looked for groups with similar lines, as well as some unique shapes with thick glass bottoms. After a run through the dishwasher and thorough drying time, they're ready to be transformed.

• latex paint in the color(s) of your choice. We went with super-springy colors - bright green, robin's egg blue, and a coral/pink called 'Begonia'. Love!

• drying racks that you don't care about getting paint on

• a good area for getting paint-covered. My mom just laid some craft paper on her counter and we went to town.

• a wet rag for wiping up paint

• an old spoon or ladle for transferring paint from bucket to vase. We also used a funnel for one vase with a small opening. Handy!

• a paint brush

• some paper towels

Here we go! Let's start with some official 'before' pictures:





Start by pouring or spooning some paint into your vessel. You need enough to be able to coat the inside thoroughly by turning the vase in your hands. My pictures here might seem a bit out of order... it's because it was hard to remember to take photos during this process... I hope you can get the gist of it anyway! :)


The fluted edge on this vase made it hard to evenly pour and coat the inside of the rim without spilling and dripping paint everywhere, so this is where a paint brush comes in handy. I just dipped in and covered the inside edge.

 

For this smaller vase, my mom was able to just turn the vase, coat the inside edge, and drain the leftover paint into the next vase she had.


This big, beautiful antique bottle required the funnel to get the paint inside. 


After you've got the inside of your vase painted, wipe the outside around the rim with your wet rag to remove any over-spill, then tip it upside down on the drying rack and let it drain. I suggest wiping the opening off every 15-25 minutes to get rid of big globs and keep them from drying.


So pretty already!


After the vases sit for about half an hour they should be ready for one last wipe around the opening and then you can turn them over to finish drying.


Ta-daaaa! Aren't they fun, fabulous, and bright?! The grouping of four green vases on the upper left are my mom's. The rest (including the tall bottle - yay!) are mine. My favorite are the two pineapple-shaped vases in the Begonia color. So cute! I think they make the perfect start to an Easter tablescape (which my mom already has in the works behind our vases). 

Oh, an important detail - this version of DIY milk glass is not waterproof. They are perfect for dry arrangements, though. I'm thinking a bunch of lavender would be delightful! 

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everybody! Enjoy the weekend!

xo



















4 comments:

  1. Hi! Absolutely looove this idea! & your DIY turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jen! It was super fun. I'm glad you enjoyed it, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What color and brand is that blue you used? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Suzie! I used Clark + Kensington from Ace Hardware (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12648516&cp=2568447&clickFrom=Paint%3AFeatured+Products)

      ...but I cannot remember the name of the color and I can't find it online! Ugh. I will do some more research and get back to you! xo

      Delete