Tuesday, September 4, 2012

hello, september.

First, an apology: I have neglected this lil' blog of mine all summer long. Why, you might ask? Well, summer is a bit busier all around with BBQ's, boating, swimming, and all the fun things we Oregonians do once the sun comes out. That, combined with a very active 2 year old in the throes of terrible/wonderful-ness, led to me having to prioritize and well, ultimately deciding to let some things fall to the side for the last couple of months. Mainly, my beloved blog. Sigh.

However, that does not mean that I haven't been thrifting, estate sale-ing, painting, and sewing my toosh off! When a gal has only so much time to work on projects and/or write about them, this gal chooses the project. And you can bet I've had a few good ones! My primary project was an experiment to see if I could turn my furniture painting hobby into a profitable endeavor... in the form of an Etsy shop! Hooray, right?! Below are the pieces I put up for sale:

Goldenrod Windsor Armchair $95 

These Windsor chairs were inspired by Anthropologie's Dalloway Armchair and Side Chair (click the links, do it!). Not a bad translation, ya think?

Turquoise Side Chair $85

Turquoise Side Chair $85

Orange Spindle Daybed $350



Turquoise Mid Mod Side Table $45

You all know that I actually had documented each of these lovelies with epic before pictures... on my iPhone... that underwent a serious tragedy wherein it wouldn't turn off or on and just had a blank Apple screen for like 5 hours... and then my hubs had to completely reboot it. And. I. Lost. All. My. Pictures. Like, 1400 of them. I actually wept. Not about the 'before' pics, but about the documentation of my son's 2nd year of life that I NEVER SYNCED TO MY COMPUTER. Lesson learned the really hard way. Sigh. Anyway, no before pics. Just imagine each one in it's own grimy, old, wooden glory. And then bask in the glossy glow of my glorious 'after' pictures (taken by my very talented friend, Greg). Especially the fabulous spindle bed! Oh, what a find! That beauty was built in the 1800's. It didn't even fit a standard twin mattress - my mom and I had to make one out of a memory foam mattress pad! (I felt like MacGyver!)

The Etsy shop launched without much ado, but garnered a lot of fun attention in the form of 'Favorites' and people on the East coast wanting to know how much it would cost to ship one or all of my items to them. Ultimately, I didn't sell a thing on Etsy. So, I posted my wares on Craigslist! Immediately I had a gal wanting to come by for the little mid century modern side table. I was stoked! And then, believe it or not, she saw the rest of my stash, loved it all, had just purchased a vacay home in Bend, OR that she needed to furnish and pow - BOUGHT IT ALL! Squeal! I was so ecstatic. It was beyond exciting to have someone share my vision and appreciate my efforts. And pay in cash! ;)

Aside from my little furniture business venture, I've really enjoyed gardening this summer. We have a small landscaped area in front of our rowhome, and it was totally lacking in the wow factor. I took matters into my own hands and planted a variety of flowers that were donated to my cause by my Oma (grandma) from her own garden, as well as some Begonia bulbs that I purchased and really had minimal expectations of. The results have been very nice!



On our back patio, I've had some success growing tomatoes. It's been so fun for Cason Jett to pick the tomatoes as they get ripe - now if he would just eat them!



These Sun Gold's are my favorite! So sweet, and the color is just lovely.

To facilitate my new found love of gardening, I felt a sudden and desperate need for a potting bench. For those of you that are unfamiliar, a potting bench is a simple piece of furniture that houses all the items one needs to maintain a garden - potting soil, trowels, pots, gloves, watering can, etc. You'd think a simple thing like a potting bench would be pretty inexpensive, right? No! These things run upwards of $200! Not on my watch. I scoured the internet until I came across the winning candidate on Craigslist (of course!) for $40, handmade out of reclaimed lumber by a fellow not 10 miles from our house. I. Love. It. Especially the live edge along the front!



How legit am I in the gardening department?! Right? Ha! My thumbs are about as green as they've ever been. It is truly a rewarding hobby and I highly recommend it!

OK, last but not least, in the thrifting/estate sale-ing realm, I thought I'd share a few of my top finds from this summer's winnings.

This super chic set of lamps was found at the Goodwill for $14.99. Believe it. I am loving these things. I just need to track down some worthy shades.

This vintage wicker chair was also recovered from the Goodwill. I am having a thing for blue right now, so I gave it a bath in this saturated hue. It may not be for everyone, but I think it is so cute! I have been super inspired by Maryam Montague's book, Marrakesh By Design, and this chair is almost exactly the same as one pictured in it. It spoke to me! Am I the only one? Maybe. Oh, well.

Sorry about the poor quality pic - these glass lamps are truly fabulous in person! My mom and I found these at a really great estate sale for about $20, I think. Again, they need some modern shades and they will shine!

Fewsh! Longest post ever? I hope you feel caught up. It has been a really fun summer for our family. I hope you can forgive me for my silence. I am resolved to make an appearance on here more consistently from here on out.  It really is fun for me.

How about you all? Any DIY success/failure stories worth sharing? Any garage sale victories? I'd love to hear.

xo

4 comments:

  1. Um, I'm ecstatic for you that you sold all of your gorgeous furniture, but a little mad that I couldn't snag that table! Nice work darlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! Are you in the market for a sassy side table? You know I'd love to help!

      Delete
  2. Love that bed!!! I think I may need to hire you when I do Ari's bedroom ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it adorable?! I honestly tried to find a place for it so I could keep it. You know I'd love to help, Lisa! Just let me know :)

    ReplyDelete