Friday, September 7, 2012

mid mod dresser buffet

Hey, there! TGIF, right? I thought I'd start the weekend off by sharing a fun project I just completed -  a mid century modern dresser turned fantastic dining room buffet. The last time I blogged about our dining room it was to share the story of recovering our boring Ikea chairs. You might recall this 'after' picture:


Along the far wall, under the seriously fabulous cedar sunburst mirror that my Uncle Dave HANDMADE FOR ME :) you can see a plain white Ikea Malm console table. This console table was a panic purchase we made prior to having 30+ family members over for a Christmas party last year. It works, but is totally lacking in the storage department. I really wanted something with drawers and a little more color, of course. Enter my project! Here is where it started:
I acquired this fun, full-of-potential piece from a lovely young couple who were in the process of purging their belongings in preparation for a move to Paris. Enviable, to say the least. They had posted this dresser on Craigslist for $55. I loved the staggered drawers and tapered legs, and thought it would look so great under my treasured sunburst mirror. It was listed for more than a week on CL before I decided to offer them $40. They were eager to accept. Score!

The dresser was in decent shape for the most part, aside from one leg that had been chewed on by a dog at some point in it's life. (Ugh! I didn't notice it until I had it home.) No biggie. After painting it, I just screwed the imperfect leg in at the back where it wouldn't be showcased. For the paint color scheme, I was inspired by our curtains. 


The tri-color blocking in white, green, and black was perfect for the staggered drawers! Behold, the beautiful, retro-fabulous after pics:





I lalala-love it! And I am so pleased to have a place to store my table linens. This project was so simple - a light sand, spray primer and paint. I was done in one day! I think I may have a piece of glass cut to protect the top eventually, but for now I am basking in the glow of my funky new mid mod buffet. 

xo

1 comment:

  1. Jennie I love love love your creations. It's so fun reading about them too.

    ReplyDelete